Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Birthday Weekend, Part 1

Three weeks ago it was Erin's birthday and we spent the full weekend celebrating.  We started Saturday morning with brunch at the Hornet with all of our friends.  Erin and I really enjoy going to the Hornet for their $2 build-your-own Bloody Marys and delicious meals.  Getting the Pupusas Rancheros is Erin's delight each time we go while I often enjoy their Bourbon Banana French Toast.  Sharing the experience with our friends made it all the better as we got to catch up on all the latest stories.

After brunch I took Erin to Jared for her pick of necklaces.  It was fun to see the different styles and I'm happy that she was able to find something that she really enjoyed.  Even though she had picked it out herself we still had them wrap it up so she could enjoy opening the present later.

That night we continued towards our goal of going out to each of the "25 Best Restaurants" noted in Denver's 5280 magazine.  That Saturday night I had made reservations at Luca D'Italia, one of the fancier restaurants on the list.  It started with valet parking and a hostess to take our coats.  The fanciness continued when the sommelier came to our table to help us pick out a bottle of wine for the meal we had selected.  The meal included several courses of small, delicious plates that we shared.  It was a long dinner and quite expensive (maybe even a bit over-indulgent), but it was fun to enjoy as a rare treat.

The Sunday morning was more low-key as Erin got to sleep in while I fixed some breakfast for her.  The weather seemed somewhat warm, so we decided to take the motorcycle out for a ride in the afternoon.  While it was nice to get out on the motorcycle the weather soon grew cold and all we could muster was a short ride to the store for some wine.

That night we continued the festivities at Erin's parents place where they were preparing her one of her favorite dishes: Lemon Chicken Picatta.  After drinks and a wonderful meal it was time to open presents as Mike and Susie showed their generosity.  With a delicious dessert and long goodbyes we were on our way home.

Unfortunately, Erin and I both had to work on Monday, the actual day of her birthday.  We made the most of it when we got home that evening by having dinner and opening the last of her presents that had been mailed to her.  It was nice to see all the cards and thoughtful gifts from everyone and it was fun to share in such good times.

No comments:

Post a Comment